Monday, August 8, 2011

Such Sweet Sorrow

I left for Korea two years, one month, and four days ago today.

To say that spending two years with Fulbright Korea was life-changing would be a wild understatement.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, and it was often both of those things at the same time.  I'm immensely proud of the things I accomplished at my school, like coaching 3 teams of students to place in three separate major international science fairs, and of the work and play I did at the orphanage, like raising money for three computers and a library of nearly 100 English language children's picture books.  I'm also proud of the work I did on myself, like becoming a much better teacher, a more self-sufficient adult, and a pretty decent Korean cook.  I'm happy with the relationships I formed and nurtured, the preparation I did for successfully applying to graduate school, and the home away from home I made in my Daejeon apartment (and especially happy with JJ and my decision to use our first paychecks of the year to buy a phenomenally awesome 42" flatscreen).  I'm proud of the contributions I made to the Fulbright program, the Korean language I managed to acquire, the budgeting and resulting nugget of savings I guarded, the Thanksgiving in Korea dinner I organized, the short-lived but much-loved 2 D's and a B band (especially our "No Scrubs" encore at the embassy),

It's time to close down my Korea blog, which recorded, complained about, and celebrated an important, precious, and finite two-year period.  I like writing and blogging, and I hope to keep up with it in the next phase - my move to London for grad school.  Thanks for being with me for these last two beautiful, difficult, complicated, wonderful years.

No comments: