Friday, June 10, 2011

Dinner

Friday!
Today I made breakfast, read a bit, then took a 70-minute walk (I timed it!) which ended at Home Plus. I pretty much cleared us out of fresh fruit and veg with my omelette, so I was in the market for raw veg. When I saw that they had peanut sauce and chili sauce with a picture of Vietnamese summer rolls, I asked the Home Plus guy down the aisle if they sold the rice paper wrappers, too.

Well, to be fair, I pointed at the picture and said "pet-uh-nam ssam issoyo?" which I was hoping meant "is there any Vietnamese wrapper-y stuff here?" Whether he was spurred on by my excellent pointing skills or my bewildering Korean I shan't venture to guess, but in any event, he immediately directed me toward the rice paper in the next aisle. Score! So tonight's menu:

Fresh Veggie & Shrimp Summer Rolls:
1. Get some medium- or large-sized fresh shrimp (the cheapest at Home Plus had all the shells and heads and stuff, but it cost $1.90 for a dozen). Clean, shell, and devein shrimp. Cook them in a little water and lime juice until done. Set aside.
2. Chop up into little strips the following: a yellow sweet pepper, a cucumber, a carrot, lettuce.
3. Soak the rice paper in warm water for about 10 seconds, then fill it with a couple shrimps and all veggies above, plus a healthy dose of peanut sauce.

Pan-Asian Pan Fried Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
1. Wash a couple of boneless/skinless chicken breasts and cut them into ~2" strips.
2. Marinate them in: 5 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp ginger, 1 tbsp garlic, 1 tbsp gochujang (or other spicy/pepper sauce), 1tbsp tonkatsu sauce (or steak sauce, I guess).
3. Steam a whole bunch of broccoli (2 cups-ish?)
4. Drag them through 1/2 cup of flour (or 1/2 cup of matzo meal from the giant thing that our neighbor Tyler willed to us when he went back to 'Merica) and fry 'em up in a nonstick with as little oil as is sensible. Cook for about 4 minutes on medium-high, then flip and cook another 2-3.
5. Add the broccoli and the marinade and simmer until the sauce reduces a bit, maybe another 2 or 3 minutes.

Voila! Reasonably healthy deliciousness can be yours in about 40 minutes! (provided that you, too, have a wonderful boyfriend/cooking partner/roommate/indentured servant who will chop veggies while you deal with chicken)

No comments: