Thursday, December 2, 2010

Appsimmon? Persinnamapple? Appersinnamon?

What do you get when you combine fresh apples, persimmons, and cinnamon?

Whatever you call it, it's delicious. I hope there's enough left for when I want to put it on latkes tomorrow! I wanted to make them today, but I forgot to get a potato grater at the store, and I didn't really want to go all the way back to get it. But tomorrow's another day, and I'll give it a whirl then!

Ingredients:
-4 apples (sweet, not tart)
-3 persimmons (hard and ripe)
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 generous tsp pumpkin pie spice (or more cinnamon + a dash of ginger)
-1/4 cup orange juice (or water + 2 tsbp lime or lemon juice)

Directions:
1. Peel, core, and chop the apples and persimmons.
2. Put everything together in a deep pot. Bring it to a boil, then cover and reduce heat
3. Let simmer for at least 20 minutes, more if you'd like.
4. Drain off excess water and reserve it. Smash a few fruit pieces in the pot to make sure it's thoroughly cooked.
5. With a hand mixer or immersion blender, blend until smooth.

6. Optional: I started early and had extra time to cook, so I just added the sweet fruit-y water back into the sauce and let it boil down. 'Cause why not?

Serve with 고구마 latkes. At least, that's the plan...

No comments: