Monday, March 8, 2010

My Job is Awesomer Than Your Job

So this semester, my brand spankin' new coteacher Roy upped CSHS's game by advocating to consolidate my teaching schedule. At the end of last semester, I asked if it would possible to concentrate my schedule rather than keep it super spread out. Last semester, I taught 3 hours of student classes each M-W & F, and teacher classes M, Th, F. Since my commute is 30 minutes to school by car in the morning and just over 1 hour by bus and subway to get back home in the afternoon, I hoped to be able to teach more hours per day and fewer days, so as to be able to cut down on transit time, and possibly travel on the weekends.

Roy really pulled through for me. I don't know what he did, but he made it happen, and I now teach M-Th. Even better, I teach each first grade class for 1 hour on Mondays and Tuesdays, and then I teach each of 3 second-grade classes in 2-hour blocks on Wednesdays. I didn't even ask him to do that, but that is going to be super. I definitely ran out of time before everyone could practice through my interview preparation lessons last year, so I'm looking forward to the longer class time with my 2nd graders -- whom I totally love (remember how much I gushed about the 1st graders last semester? Because of the Korean system, they're in 2nd grade now).

In summary, Roy. Is. The. Man.

This week, my job gets even cooler - thanks to the sadistic pressure foisted on these kids over their giant standardized university admission exams, Korean students all have a practice test on Wednesday. Which means that my schedule this week looks like this:

Monday: 3 hours students, 1 hour teachers
Tuesday: 3 hours students, 1 hour teachers
Wednesday: No school
Thursday: 2 hours teachers
Friday: No school

Sometimes, my life in Korea is really, really difficult.
Sometimes, I get a month where I work an average of 4 hours/day, 3 days/week, for $1500 + free Korean food + free housing in the heart of Daejeon.

Really, my only worry is that I will never have another job that's as cool as this one is. Because when it is good, it is very, very good....

No comments: