Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Evestravaganza!

After spending 8 Christmas Eves and Christmases juggling between our families (Christmas Eve Eve at my house, Christmas Eve at his house, or coffee and dessert on Christmas day at my house, or dinner one place and dessert the other...we've tried all kinds of combinations), we finally did it - a Kaye-Nickitas holiday family fusion, a grand Christmas Eve(nt) that managed to smoosh my and Nick's nuclear family, nick's aunt uncle and cousin, and a few sets of my aunts and uncles and cousins and whatnot all into one evening.
After baking an obscene amount during the day (2 loaves of banana bread, 5 dozen almond sugar cookies, 5 dozen chocolate chip cookies...I feel like there was more, but I can't remember what), I fell asleep right before people were due to arrive. So I missed the wine and cheese-y and hello-how-are-you portion of the evening, but I was up for dinner (caesar salad, stuffed clams, eggplant parmesan, linguine with white clam sauce, linguine with red lobster sauce), which was fantastic. It was great to see my extended family, and catch up with Nick's family, too. I've been with them for the holidays for a long time, and it felt right to have them there. Plus, JP, Nick's brother, brought Cranium with him, which ended up being lots of fun.

So picture this: a living room in Connecticut with a roaring fire, 22 guests, all family, plates of freshly baked cookies, coffee mugs, and glasses of wine all over, my father and his sister at the piano playing Christmas songs, and my cousins and Nick's brother and cousin all curled up on the floor playing a board game.

Eat your heart out, Norman Rockwell.


The table:


My cousin Clare was born December 2, 1987, on the west coast, while I was born December 3, 1987, in Connecticut. We almost never get to see each other, but she moved to NY just after I left for Korea, so we had a really nice time starting to catch up!


Clare and Rachel, two of my beautiful cousins:


The gang in the living room:


Nick and JP on good behavior:



Nick and JP give up the ruse:



Clare and Beo:





And last but not least, Beowulf at his most dapper:

1 comment:

Julia said...

OMG! So before I read this portion of the blog, I was bummed, disappointed even, to not make it to the Christmas Eve extravaganza. But after reading this post, words cannot sufficiently capture my level of disappointment bc like you, Dara, I am always afraid of missing out on the fun...and now I know I did! Bummer for me:(. Awesome for you though that you got a blended family Christmas. And on an unrelated note, so effin cool that you went ice fishing.
LYMY