Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Birthday, a B-Boy, and a Blizzard

One of the things I like most about Korea is that after you get over the initial, baseline level of awkwardness that permeates life in a country where you can't speak the language or intuitively navigate the culture, you become desensitized to the next step up of awkward. In other words, if you're never fully comfortable anyway, you may find yourself more willing to step further outside your comfort zone.

Which bring us to how I spent my Saturday evening.

This weekend, several 친구s went to Seoul to celebrate JJ's 22nd birthday. Sole Seoul extendee ETA, bboy extraordinaire, and new friend Francis was nice enough to invite us to a b-boy competition in Hongdae.

I felt like I was a freshman, and the cool senior kids had invited me to sit at their lunch table. Simultaneously awesome and way, way inadequate.

Francis:


Francis, Norman, JJ (left to right) watching the show:




Realization Crew and badass beatboxer whose name I didn't catch:


I wish I'd gotten video of Francis, but I couldn't get it together quickly enough. It was a mix of amateurs and professionals, but everyone there was lots of fun to watch. I think everyone walked out of the studio with an extra little bounce to their step.

And, okay, maybe the whole "blizzard" thing in the title was hyperbole in the name of alliteration, but it DID snow on Sunday afternoon, for the first time since I got here. I had to do, like, a triple take before I believed JJ that it was in fact snow outside our window on the train ride home. It didn't stick, but it was still snowing when I got into Daejeon. It was the sort of snow that doesn't interfere with your plans, just decorates them. I went home and had a cup of tea, read some Austen, and snuggled the puppy. It was lovely.

No comments: