Friday, October 30, 2009

Teaching Marathon

Lesson of the Day: "Hush" and charades
Video of the Day: Buffy 4x10, "Hush"
Idiom of the day: "on the nose"
Lunch: some beefy stew thing (pass), carrot sticks, cucumber sticks (YES! vegetables that haven't been rotting underground in a clay pot!), sesame leaves with pepper sauce, rice.
Highlight So Far: 1-2 and 1-3 getting most of the dirty jokes in "Hush"

Fridays are usually my favorite, 'cause (1) it's Friday and (2) I have all grade 1 classes. However, I was a little nervous that today was gonna suck, because I have a marathon day of teaching. Usually, even though I'm at the school from 8-5 every day, I'm only actually teaching for 3 or 4 hours. But because my schedule got switched around so I could go to that conference in Cheonnan for all of the ETAs and coteachers in the province, I ended up having 6 hours of classes, back to back.

It wasn't easy - class 1-1 had trouble staying awake. I don't blame them - everyone has a tough time staying awake for that first period morning class. But it meant that I had to keep the lights on for ANYONE to stay awake, which detracted from the super-creepiness of the show.

Class 1-3 and 1-2 went like a dream, though. After a quick introduction to the tv show background and an overview of how the theme of silence, language, and communication work in the episode (difficult -but possible- to explain), we were off to the races. I paused a few times to explain what was happening, but not many -- the show is beautifully done, and interrupting it definitely takes you out of the building suspense. I'd rather they miss a few idioms if it means they can get the feel of the piece and be equipped to discuss it later.

After watching the show, we talked about it. I tried to ease them into the discussion, starting it off by saying "Did you like it? Thumbs up or thumbs down?" Invariably they liked it - how could they not? Then, "what was your favorite part?" and then "one of the things I like most about this show is that it is funny and scary and romantic, sometimes all at the same time. Do you agree? (all: yes) what parts were scary?" after a few answers I said my favorite scary part. And then "what parts were funny?" and I said my favorite part was when Giles was trying to explain why the Gentlemen had stolen everyone's voices. Willow is trying to mime that the Gentlemen are trying to get people's hearts, but Xander misunderstands and thinks she's saying that the bad guys are after boobs. I used that to define "gesture" and "mime" and the phrasal verb "to act out," and then introduced Charades. I also explained the idiom "on the nose," which you need to know, at least in the version I always play.

I changed stuff up a little bit though - I had them pick from books, movies, tv shows, or video games. Some kids got really into it, while some were totally flummoxed. But since I let them volunteer, usually it was the outgoing kids who got up, and they tend to be the best at this kind of thing. It was great to end classes with lots of laughter and fun, and of course, candy for the winning team. Followed by candy for the losing team. Hey, it's Halloween!

All of my classes are 50 minutes with a 10 minute break in between, except my 8:30-10:30 class, which has a 20 minute break. To get them back in their seats on time, I promised that 5 minutes before the second half of class started, I would show them a video of the greatest Halloween costume I'd seen this year. And I did. Here it is. Then, since I'd promised 5 minutes and that was only 1.5, I followed it up with this bad boy.

When I got back to the teacher's lounge, the nutritionist (seems to me to be sort of like an uber lunch lady) handed me a plate of smoked salmon over lettuce, a cup of water, and a clementine in the teacher's lounge. Amazing! I was a little hungry, since I had carrot sticks and cucumbers for lunch, and it was a while ago. And you really can't lose with smoked salmon or citrus in my book.

After school today, I'm heading to Gwangju to meet up with some other ETA friends to properly celebrate Halloween. Koreans aren't really into Halloween too much, but we're going to more than make up for that. David's friend manages a coffee shop, and he's generously let us come crash it afterhours for an American-Korean bonding cultural exchangestravanganza - with soju and costumes. Can't beat that combination.

It's been a long week, and I can't wait!

No comments: