Tuesday, October 13, 2009

If You Made a Hypothetical....

Lesson of the Day: Making hypotheticals; vocabulary for "If I Had a Million Dollars" by the Barenaked Ladies (including Kraft dinner/mac & cheese, tree house, fridge, Picasso, Art Garfunkel)
Video of the Day: an unofficial but super-useful version of the Barenaked Ladies' "If I Had a Million Dollars

Students listened to and watched "If I Had a Million Dollars," filling in blank spots on a lyrics worksheet. On the back of the worksheet was"word help," since my students groan when I say the word "vocabulary." Some words I defined in English ("fridge: refrigerator") and some in Korean (hope they're right, since I used my cell phone dictionary and prayer for the translation), and we went through them after listening to the song once. Then they listened to it again and wrote down any famous rich people or big companies whose pictures appeared in the video.
After that, we went through a worksheet on forming hypothetical questions,

A sample of some questions and answers from 2.1, a class where I had to repeatedly wake up at least a third of my students:

Q: If you saw ghost, what would you do?
A: I would kill the ghost
A: I would make as friends

Q: If you were time traveler, what would you do?
A: I would go back and change test

Q: If you were an invisible man, what would you do?
A: Go to third floor
(editor's note: the third floor is the girl's dormitory)

Q: If you saw a Entertainer, what would you do?
A: I would hug them (her), autograph.

Q: If you became a blinder, what would you do?
A: Cry
A: Kill himself.

Q: If you feel empulse to someone kill, what would you do?
A: I will kill.

Q: If you were most smart in the world, what would you do?
A: I'd develope you
A: I'd develope time machine

Q: If you had a time machine, what would you do?
A: I'd back middle school student
A: I'd back baby

Q: If you were the your mother [father], what would you do?
A: Make his son musician


And then there were these wildly creative answers:
Q: If you were rich, what would you do?
A: Sleep.

Q: If you were the university student, what would you do?
A: Sleep.

Q: If you were to be smart and to have special ability, what would you do?
A: I'm sleep.

Q: If you had a hamster, what would you do?
Q: If you were the hamster, what would you do?
A: Sleep
(editor's note - student interviewed 3 other students, all answered "sleep for both questions.)

Q: If you were the teleporter CEO, what would you do?
A: Run away and sleep


Last, but not least, I'm not sure how to take this one:

Q: If you were native english teacher, what would you do?
A: Make a tomb

3 comments:

Julia said...

So great that I must sleep!

Anonymous said...

having enough sleep is so great!!

as for "fridge" being short for "refrigerator," I believe it comes from the "Frigidaire" brand of refrigerator, which was ubiquitous in the 50's, as that company sponsored so many TV commercials. Perhaps one or more of them can be found on youtube. They were broadcast live, and didn't always go as planned.

Great post, and great lesson you created!

not a J. said...

zzzzzz......