Saturday, September 12, 2009

Going to the Doctor...an Adventure

So a few weeks ago, I hurt my knee. I'm not sure exactly how. Let's just say that it happened between the hours of 2-4 in the morning, and that when the tae kwan do provincial champion is telling you to drink that in one shot, you do. When I got up the next morning, it was to both pain of the expected kind and a mysterious bruise on my knee. It hurt to walk, too - something was definitely wrong. But we were busy, and it didn't stop me from getting around. It hurt less and less, and even though it'd still twinge once in a while, I sort of forgot about it.

Fast forward to a few days ago, when I started working out at Curves. The knee went back to giving me a whole bunch of trouble, and was even a little swollen yesterday. Clearly, something had to be done. So yesterday, I asked my host mom if she could recommend a doctor or hospital where someone spoke English. Yes, she said, she knew the university hospital would have that.

So imagine my surprise when, 5 minutes ago, she announced that from my description of the pain, Western medicine would be a lengthy and ineffective process - we would be going to see a practitioner of "Eastern medicine." And then she asked if I was scared of needles.

We leave in 10 minutes. I'll let you know how it goes....

No comments: