Friday, September 18, 2009

Challah Back, Korea!

NB: If you're reading this on facebook, maybe I should point out that all of these "notes" are originally from an external blog that I set to import to facebook. hafbright.blogspot.com. Since I posted some of these pictures to fb, I thought I'd throw that out there.

Anyway, I just spent the night making traditional Jewish foods with my super awesome homestay sister, who was kind enough to bear with me as I tried to remember the relevance of honey and apples and why one braids challah. Since she wasn't in any way aware of the existence of Jewish people before I suddenly moved into her house, she was pretty interested in the whole thing. Probably didn't hurt that the cultural and history lessons were accompanied by honey apple cake and challah.
Korean kids don't cook or bake, which is totally alien to me - I loved baking with my mom as a kid. Actually, scratch that - mom doesn't bake. But I can't remember being so young I didn't have a decent popover recipe memorized.
Caroline had never cooked or baked anything other than instant noodles before (not an exaggeration) so it took some time to explain how to level off a cup or a teaspoon, how to knead dough, and how to follow a recipe. But in the end, we got there - and made some bangin' treats with a delicious jewy center!



Host sister with Chandi (who got an amazing/ridiculous haircut) and cake



The challah mini-rolls and apple cake (photo credits on this one go to the host sister)



Challah dough, lookin' good and ready to be baked. But will it do justice to what I set out to do? To show the kids that they could cook, to teach them a traditional food, and to have delicious bread in the house? Will it rise enough? Or did I leave out some crucial ingredient -- like, say, the second Jewish parent? Or...like, nutmeg or something? We shall see...



Success! :)

1 comment:

YourMomma said...

Such good looking bakery, my dear! I am so impressed!!
and sorry you don't remember baking together when you were small;; we made lots of pretty great chocolate chip cookies, some brownies, and we also filled our bread machine together...And don't forget your baking adventures with your god-sister Nikki (does 'grandaddy toast' count as baking as it was baked in the toaster oven?)
Your challah looks so yummy! and I am very glad you got to enjoy the fruits of your labor, so to speak..
PS Can you buy maple syrup in Korea?