Sunday, August 23, 2009

Wandering Around Daejeon

Today, for the first time, I took off and walked around the city where I'll be living for the next year. I went to City Hall and picked up a map, found the two closest metro stops to my apartment, and got a decent lay of the land just by walking around.

I took some pictures and found some stuff that I'll post on later, but suffice it to say for now that I found the only (yes, the ONLY) Indian restaurant in Daejeon, South Korea. It ain't cheap, but it's not prohibitively expensive, either. It's probably about what I'd pay in the states -- about 16,000 W for most of the curries. I've just been massively spoiled by the abundance of cheap Korean food on the street and in sit down restaurants. Even in the city center, there are restaurants where you can get bibimbap, stew, dumplings, and other simple dishes (plus side dishes like the ubiquitous pickled radish and kimchi, and occasionally other stuff, too) for 3,000-4,000 won, or roughly $2.50-$3.25 at the current rockin' exchange rate. Or you can head to one of the oodles of convenience stores and pick up some kimbap for the absurd price of 750 won. Kimbap, for those of you who less familiar with Korean cuisine, is the ultimate rice-based convenience food. Described almost universally as "Korean sushi," it's rice wrapped in a sheet of nori seaweed, either in the tube shape familiar to Americans or in a triangle, usually with some kind of protein inside. I've only seen kimbap with cooked ingredients, ranging from bbq pork to tuna salad to spam and pickled radish (seriously - Koreans are crazy for Spam!), but that might be because the convenience store venue sort of demands it.

OK, more later - the apartment smells deliciously like veggies and sesame oil, which means dinner is about to be served!

No comments: