Thursday, August 20, 2009

Turns out it was definitely a good thing that I didn't have to wake up at 7am and not get back until midnight today - I woke up with a monstrous headache around 10, popped a couple of pills and passed out again until 11:45. My host family, I am sure, thinks I'm horrifically lazy, but whattaya gonna do.
When I came out into the living room, there was an extra face staring back at me. My host father's neice had come to visit on her vacation from Korea University! Lots of fun, 'cause she's really nice and speaks great English. She's studying law (unclear to me whether that's an undergrad or graduate degree in Korea) at one of the top universities in Korea, so clearly she's got it pretty together. I hope she sticks around for a while - I wanna pick her brain about what to do in Daejeon and what cell phone I should get (apparently this is a major personality-defining decision for young people here in Korea).
Host mom (whom I've been calling "Mrs. Kim" for lack of a better term thusfar - anyone else figure this out yet?) made me breakfast/brunch again, and the excitement still hasn't worn off -- giant chunks of honeydew, a whole small sliced tomato, a slice of bread and the giant jar of Skippy Extra-Chunk I bought yesterday at Costco (at home I'd buy the hippie Whole Foods sweetened-with-honey or -God help me- Peanut Butter & Co.'s maple variety, but as it turns out, I have NO complaints about a giant jar of chunky Skippy. I'll take it, and I'll like it. Now I just have to find some decent jelly...

My plan for today was to try to see if I could go exploring on my own a little bit, but the sky is looking pretty threatening and the weather gadget on my Mac warns me there's an 84% chance of rain and probably thunderstorms. So maybe today isn't the day to aimlessly wander.

This weekend, though, I hope to meet up with some friends in the area, and meet some of the people who are extending their grants from last year. One girl already got in touch with me, and I'm really excited to have someone here who already knows her way around. That is going to be invaluable when I need to get the heck outta dodge-jeon.

5 comments:

UrMom said...

Hope you feel better soon! You are so right to sleep in...Sleep is good medicine.

Judy said...

There's zillion of us reading, Dara. We're just lurking, so you don't know.

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

Yes my dear cousin raised by fabulous organically inclined earthy parents that I adore, Skippy does, in fact, rock. I believe it's the hydrogenated oil, obscene amounts of sugar, and delightful high fructose corn syrup that make is amazing;)-
As to the jelly dilemma, I suggest going to Starbucks on the regular, informing them that you would like a jelly in your coffee and a coffee in your jelly, but on the side please and thank you, and then hoarding the stuff in a jar. Because otherwise Starbucks is simply going to throw that crap away---because no one, and I mean no one, not even my mother that swears by all things coffee, wants jelly in their coffee.

Jessica said...

Thanks, little friend, I was unaware of maple peanut butter. I've now gone to the Peanut Butter & Co website and found out which stores near me carry it (allegedly). Back atcha after I try it. Thanks!
I'm really enjoying your blog, Dara. Thanks for taking us all along with you on your adventures.