Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Homestay Gifts

Instead of actually writing this up, I'm just copy-pasting from my explanation of what just happened to my homeboy Josh Lo. It may be a facebook chat, but I find it has its own kind of appealing poetic style.

Short preface => my fb status well summarizes the sitch: "host family gifts: chocolate for kids who aren't allowed sweets, liquor to a man who doesn't drink, and gold earrings to a woman without pierced ears. FML."



Josh: are those gift stories all true?

Dara: ...yes
seriously

instead of being american about it
and just saying thanks so much
the dad opened the gift
and quietly announces "oh. i don't drink"
sees my face fall
and says "... thank you"

then gift #2
mom opens the box
sort of grimaces
and says "i can't wear the pierce"
"...thank you"

gift #3
me: this is for the whole family, but especially for you two!
kids open box
it contains giant bag of hershey miniatures
the girl takes one
i take 2 mini mr. goodbars because I'm STARVING
at which point dad announces that no, thy won't have any right now
because they don't want to get fat

F my LIFE

21:43Joshua
that's the reason?

21:43Dara
so there i am, nuts and chocolate halfway in my face

21:43Joshua
oh no

21:44Dara
feeling obese and awkward from the 2 minute silence that follows
before i head back to my room
and realize that what just happened
is probably the funniest thing in the history of the world
riiiight after midgets who can juggle

21:45Joshua
haha
3 for 3



The end.

In related news, go read Josh's blog. He's much better about posting than I am. http://gojoshlo.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! speaking of midgets - this is right up there with the time I looked out my summer rental window, and had the delightful view of a midget playing golf. With full size clubs.

NotYourMom said...

I laugh every time I read this post..

dara said...

I've lived every day of my life hoping to see midgets playing full-sized golf (actually, midget mini golf has its own spectacular set of merits), I just didn't know it! Thanks for focusing my ennui ;)