Thursday, August 20, 2009

Following Blogs

I've been reading so many more papers (Hey, Korean Herald, what's up? Et Le Monde, comment est l'Europe aujourd'hui? Aww hey, New York Times, you know I gotcha on the ipod touch now, baby), partly because I feel a little disoriented (which begs the question - can you be disoriented in Asia?)*, but also because I spend a lot of time with not a lot to do because I haven't started school yet. I'm definitely not complaining - with all the craziness, I find myself needing extra decompression time. But now it's gotten to the point where I'm not just reading actual papers, I've devolved into hitting up the blogs I used to use to procrastinate when I had a paper to write. So seeing as I no longer live in the vicinity of people who get all giggly at the prospect of Battlestar Galactica miniseries spoilers, I'll just giggle here to you, faithful readers (OK, "reader." Hi mom! ...mom? ....mom!?!)

Trusty io9 managed to entertain me for quite a while with this, a look at Shakespearean(-ish) character devices in scifi. I'm definitely with this guy on Dr. Who-as-Prospero and the weaknesses of Anakin Skywalker in the prequels. He loses me on Dollhouse's Topher, but that could be because I find that character nearly devoid of what is supposed to be his character-defining charm. Bonus points for the shoutout to Winter's Tale's use of "sluic'd." So vague, yet so graphic - perfect. Winter's Tale is wickedly under appreciated. A+, Will.

Next up, possibly the blog I read most regularly this year, Jezebel. Any blog that features consecutive articles entitled "Hillary Clinton Tackles Economics, Terrorism, Microlending In NY Times Profile," "Did Bullying Cause A Girl's Anorexia?: The First Lawsuit Of Its Kind," and ""He Goes Limp At The Thought Of Intercourse ('Susie and Aretha Bright believe that mother-daughter teamwork is the answer for all your sex advice needs')" is A-OK by me. Plus, bonus - someone FINALLY pointing out that marketing only pink netbooks to chicks is not necessarily the greatest idea in the world, and an article on the portrayal of race in fashion shoots, a subject that ticks me off every time I open a fashion magazine (which, okay, is far more often than I'd like to admit. But Korea is a country of opposites existing in tense balance, right?). It's even more overt in Korea, where there's no organized effort to subvert or avoid hypersexualization/fetishization of non-Korean women.

Sigh. Sometimes I really, really miss Smith...

*yes yes, I realize I used this a few weeks ago IRL. But recycling jokes saves trees!

PS: THIS settles it. Next fellowship I do, I'm headed for Lyon!

2 comments:

UrMom said...

In the morning, before NYTimes, before the Today Show, for me comes Hafbright, the brilliant colorful literate comment on young modern life.
Hi back atcha!
UrMom

Will said...

Thanks for the shout out. W.T. was one of my favorites, too, but everyone's always all Hamlet, Hamlet Hamlet! Oh, well. It pays the bills. . .